Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, pour 1/4 cup boiling water over 1/2 cup of teff grain. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine without sifting:
1 cup teff flour
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 cup poppy seeds
- Blend wet ingredients: (if possible let them be room temperature)
1 1/2 cups apple juice
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup corn oil or canola oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup vanilla soymilk
1 tbsp. vanilla
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients.
- Add teff grain.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour into a large cake pan or 2 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife or toothpick comes out dry.
Recipe by Leslie Cerier