Apple Teff Crumb Pie
- Make teff pie crust and reserve (do not bake) 1/2 cup of pie dough for the crumb topping.
- For a delicious apple filling: slice 5 large apples such as Rome, Mackintosh or Cortland varieties.
- Simmer in a 2 quart sauce pan with a pinch of sea salt.
- Cook the apples about 1/2 hour until they are tender ad bring juice.
- Add 1 tbsp. of kuzu or arrowroot dissolved in 1/4 cup of cold water.
- Stir in 1 and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon.
- The fruit filling is now like a pudding.
- Pour it into the prebaked pie crust.
- Crumble remaining teff dough crumbs on top.
- Bake another 10 minutes or until crumbles turn a light brown.
Another tasty combination for a fruit filling is simmer 1/2 cup of raisins, 3 sliced apples, and 2 thinly sliced pears with a pinch of sea salt. As before add cinnamon and diluted kuzu or arrowroot.
Recipe by Leslie Cerier